- Bugles - represents a cornucopia, a horn of plenty.
- Pretzels - represents arms folded in thanks and prayer.
- Candy Corn & Corn Nuts - during the first winter, the pilgrims were each allotted only 5 kernels of corn per day because food was so scarce.
- Dried Fruits & Berries - Thanksgiving is the celebration of the harvest.
- Pumpkin & Sunflower Seeds - seeds represent the potential of a bounteous harvest for the next season if they are planted and well tended.
You can make this mix as a family and eat while discussing each ingredient and how it relates to Thanksgiving. Or give as gifts, I made a few minor changes and this is what I ended up with:
THANKSGIVING BLESSING MIX
1 bag Candy Corn
1 bag Corn Nuts Brand Snack
1 bag Dried Fruits and Berries
1 bag Sunflower Seeds
1 bag Pumpkin Seeds
1 bag Bugles Brand Corn Snacks
1 bag Tiny Twist Pretzels
Raffia or yarn
Artificial leaves or other harvest decoration
Blessing Mix card (click here to download)
In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients together. Set out 6 cellophane bags and fill with a handful each of Bugles and Pretzels. Add a handful of the seed and corn mix, repeat until all ingredients have been divided between the bags. Tie the tops with raffia or yarn and add a leaf. Print out the Blessing Mix card and tie on to the bag.