Tuesday, January 22, 2008
1. Beaumont to El Paso: 742 miles
2. Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles
3. El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas
4. World's first rodeo was in Pecos, July 4, 1883.
5. The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North Americabuilt over water.
6. The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was thefirst full-time coach at Rice University in Houston.
7. Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area inNorth America.
8. Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's onlyremaining flock of whooping cranes.
9. Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.
10. The worst natural disaster in U.S history was in 1900, caused by ahurricane, in which over 8,000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.
11. The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was " Houston."
12. King Ranch in South Texas is larger than Rhode Island.
13. Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43" in 24hours in and around Alvin in July of 1979.
14. Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, (known as theConstitution of 1845 by the Republic of Texas to enter the Union)instead of by annexation. This allows the Texas Flag to fly at the sameheight as the U.S. Flag, and may divide into 5 states.
15. A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.
16. Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
17. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period in Dr Pepper.
18. Texas has had six capital cities: Washington-on-the Brazos,Harrisburg, Galveston, Velasco, West Columbia and Austin.
19. The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which istaller than the Capitol Building in Washington DC (by 7 feet).
20. The name "Texas" comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas" meaningfriends. Tejas is not Spanish for Texas.
21. The State Mascot is the Armadillo (an interesting bit of triviaabout the armadillo is they always have four babies. They have one egg,which splits into four, and they either have four males or four females.).
22. The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston.
Thursday, January 3, 2008
This Yahoo Group "FreeCycle" allows you to post items you want to get rid of (free) to reduce the landfills. You can also post wanted items.
This is a link to our local chapter but they are popping up all over.
Finally we are getting some cool weather in Central Texas. It has been in the 20's in the mornings.
Hopefully it will kill some of the bugs. We have had more than or share this past year.
I hope all had a wonderful Christ-filled Christmas and happy holidays with family and friends.